Tuesday, August 24, 2010

RIVER BEDS, GIRAFFES AND BEES



This morning was certainly slower than the rest, but we eventually left our moonscape overnight camp behind and headed out of the valley towards the Hoarusib River.

This morning I was so layed back, low range first gear, was the only one I felt comfortable and I fell steadily behind the rest of the group.  I enjoyed the isolated lonely feeling for a while, listening to the mellow tunes of my African Voices CD.



The scenery was haunting and beautiful, and I savoured every moment, by this time giving little thought to the mechanical breakdowns I had experienced or any concerns for the office.

I spent more time marveling at the rock colours and formations and trying to imagine how they were all formed.

 I eventually caught up to the group at tea on the banks of the Hoarusib River, to reports of decidedly fresh lion tracks.  They had photos of the paw prints to prove it, but alas no sighting.


We decided to follow the river bed as there would be more chance of seeing game, and the river would lead us right past the Puros camp site, our destination for overnight.


We were rewarded by more giraffe, gemsbok and elephant, and riding through the thick river sand challenging and fun in turn.


By late afternoon we arrived at the very reasonably priced community camp site at Purros.  A most pleasant place with hot water facilities which were welcome after three nights in the bush.



The only draw back was the menacing bees every where around our allocated camp site.  Presumably the area was so dry that the bees were attracted to any moisture, including beer, which Andrew found out the hard way when he gulped down a bee with his beer, and got stung on his tongue.  Fearing an allergic reaction in such a remote place we doused our fears by feeding him anti-histamine, and the poor man was forced to retire early, presumably feeling rather drowsy after the ordeal and the tablets.

We had a visit from the local ellies, and I enjoyed a hot shower and even a phone call back to my wife on the satellite phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment