Saturday, August 21, 2010

LET THE GAMES BEGIN

After some fruitless searching for rubber pipes to replace the ones that I melted, we made a plan with some plastic pipes that Andrew produces the night before and headed out into the Koakaveld.


It was oppressively hot, and I was continually monitoring my dials and gauges for signs of overheating.  I never managed to relax and enjoy the drive despite their absence.  I hoped that the next day would be easier with the confidence of the first day without mechanical problems under my belt.


We followed an eastward heading route d3703 towards Van Zyl’s, but veered South about 13km after Etanga Village, which was the end of a very dusty gravel road.  From here the driving was on rocky single track at a far more sedate pace.  I was beginning to really relax enjoying the unusual tree and plant species along the route. 



We enacted the "sun at four fingers above the horison" rule and camped at the most suitable clump of shade a short distance off the road in site of Mounts Ondjamu and Okamanga.  This was our first evening in the wild, and it was curative.  I could feel the stress sliding off me as the evening progressed. Nothing better than the night sounds in the bush, a camp fire, good friends and a good red wine for company.


Ross cooked up an delicious mussel broth, in a dry river bed and we got into our sleeping bags satisfied after making it this far, but far more looking forward to the days ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment